The Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences of the University of Algarve:
- Host medical students for short-term clinical internships (Eletive) in mobility basis (Erasmus or other), exclusively in June, July and August
- NOT host students whose request for a placement has been previously confirmed directly with the hospital services of the region's hospital, the Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Algarve
- NOT host students for long-term exchange programs, semiannualy or annual
- NOT host candidates for internships in the context of teaching or post-graduate training, in specialty boarding school or others
As such, you should contact the hospital in the region - Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Algarve, through the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Short-term clinical placements can be requested for:
- hospital placements, at the Centro Hospitalar Universitário do Algarve during the months of June, July and August of each year
- community placements, Family Medicine, in one of the Family Health Units in the municipalities of Faro, Loulé or Olhão (in August each year)
To apply, you must file a request with the International Relations Office of the University of Algarve via email address email@example.com, during January of each year, for the same year.
When applying, you should indicate the current academic year, your home institution, as well as the period and specialty in which you wish to carry out an internship (June, July or August).
The response to your internship request will be confirmed by the Mobility Coordination of the Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences of the University of Algarve via a Letter of Acceptance.
After receiving the Letter of Acceptance, you will be contacted by the International Relations Office to inform you of and request the documentation necessary as well as confirmation of access to accommodation in a university residence, if you are interested.
All candidates must confirm they have been vaccinated against tetanus, hepatitis B, and measles (the latter with two doses throughout their lives), which will be requested once their application has been formalised, and without which it is not possible to enter the health units.
You should also present the DIGITAL CERTIFICATE of the COVID vaccine (with a minimum of two doses), and a negative result of the COVID (Antigen test) test performed in the 48 hours prior to the start of the stage.
During the clinical internship, all students must wear an appropriate and personal uniform (scrubs, surgical gowns) in light blue or green colour, for use within the health unit, being the student responsible for its hygiene.
During the clinical internship and when inside the health units, all students must use the identification card of the University of Algarve (which will be provided to you upon arrival).
During the internship, all students are overseen by a tutor, must comply with an eight-hour daily schedule, and will undergo a qualitative assessment process.